The Travel Route

The Travel Route
A rough representation of the sequence of the trip

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Birthday Kisses and Character Profiles



          I think I have finally come out the other end of my culture shock and discomforts surrounding travel in Italy. It only took me about three weeks, but I figure given the rough start to things that this is permissible.  After a week at Nuova Terra everyone for the most part was done trying to figure each other out and what exactly is going on. I’m getting to know a lot of the people better, even the ones I had misgivings about, and am finding that I like pretty much everyone. The people here have put forth a lot of effort to make us comfortable and to help us learn. My birthday was August 24th and my new friend Mariagrazia made tiramisu for me!! Tiramisu in Italian means “pick me up”. I can’t think of a better way to describe this delectable treat other than by staring off into the distance while drooling happily. I also can’t think of a better way to celebrate my birthday. Of course, there was a catch. The spirits suddenly decided that it was time for everyone to fast in the evening and not eat eggs or milk. Soooo….a bunch of hungry people got to sit around while I ate my birthday tiramisu while feeling so guilty that it did not “tiramisu” (pick me up). Sounds to me like the spirits are dicks!      
However, there were many highlights to my day. The little girls who stay at the farm while their parents work made me some beautiful birthday cards and gave me kisses. I also received a lot of kisses throughout the day which started off as a big of a fiasco since I’m not really that familiar with the cheek kissing except for in that obnoxious overzealous way I sometimes do with friends. It was morning, my brain was not yet functioning, and suddenly five Italian men are telling me happy birthday and approaching me for the kisses. I went straight into grabbing the shoulders and loudly proclaiming “MUAH” in their ears before I realized what the hell I’m doing. Then I was so embarrassed that I blushed and avoided eye contact for the remainder of the morning…..but I regress.  At least it is perfect that my birthday landed on the weekend since there’s usually not much work for us to do and Alayna and I had Saturday evening completely free for wining, dining, and hitting the town; quite different from our everyday routine.
The work has been hard but satisfying. I have planted zucchini sprouts, helped set up irrigation, picked and weeded vegetables, and even helped make tomato sauce. Consequently I am tired and hungry…all….the….time. It was nice to have a break to enjoy ourselves and indulge a little bit more (I say MORE because we still partake in the consumption of gelato and espresso on a regular basis). Daniele, whom I describe further below, suggested the restaurant that we went to which features cuisine of the Friuli region (where we are). Perfecto! We ate prosciutto on Italian bread, pasta in meat sauce and eggplant parmesan lasagna, and then we had frico which is a cheese and potato cake, heavy on the cheese. We washed it all down with the house red wine and were thoroughly satisfied with the richness and deliciousness. We even got a free shot of blueberry grappa (That strong wine liquor) after our meal which had us feeling all the toastier. What a night!
                Beyond my birthday and my ranting, I think it is necessary for me to describe a few of the primary characters that have graced me with their presence so that everyone can get a better idea of how they have brightened up my life in Italy.
Daniele: He has been my personal guide since I started at Nuova Terra and right from the beginning I have come to enjoy his twisted sense of humor and his Engliano (English and Italiano mixed). This is the man that when we were locked out of our house, told us we would have to do something a little bit “nasty” and showed us how to break in through the kitchen window. He is also the guy who made a joke with the children about cooking up Donald Duck and eating him. HA! He’s a little awkward, but I think that makes me like him all the more. He answers any questions I have and helps me figure out what to do with myself.
Claudio: Someone who has become a fairly good friend to me. He has lived half his life in Canada and half in Italy, so both his English and Italian are amazing and make him an invaluable resource. He conveys to me a lot of the important details in the work we do and I am able to speak as my natural eccentric self and be understood! Well, at least more understood. I’d say he’s in his fifties, but his smile suggests younger. He has taught me about transplanting, irrigation, planning, and the spiritual aspects of their work. Unfortunately since he understands me better than most of the others, he is also quite quick to pick up on my skepticism, but that doesn’t stop us from being friendly. I appreciate that a lot.
Franca: My new adopted Italian grandmother. I knew from the moment I met this woman that I liked her. She’s probably a seventy-something and works harder than anyone else around the farm. She is constantly moving yet has the energy and patience to deal with me not always understanding her directions and to help me learn by speaking to me like a child (but not in a demeaning way). For my birthday she gave me the biggest hug. That meant the world to me.  I work with her and another woman, Roberta (who is also quite lovely), picking vegetables and weeding.
Tulio: Another, older, WWOOF-er whom speaks limited English, but what he knows he uses to entertain us. He immediately won over my heart when he invited Alayna and me over for a desert consisting of ricotta cheese, cocoa, sugar, and cookies. Apparently this is his regular breakfast which I think is so very fabulous. He refers to me as Mr. Hyde because I guess it helps him remember my name since it sounds like Jekyll. Or he was just really quick to catch on to my double personality. Clever clever Tulio
Manuela: On a fluke I got to work in the kitchen with Manuela one day making tomato sauce and came to really like her! She speaks Spanish as well as Italian, so it was a bit easier communicating with her and making jokes. She has beautiful five year old daughter named Desiree. I can tell Manuela is tough, yet kind and we have remained on friendly though sometimes very quiet terms. (My brain has difficulty with the switching from English to Italian to Spanish and tends to just kind of fizzle out) She is a whiz with woodwork!
Elanora: Another WWOOF-er from Bulgaria whom it seems we were destined to meet no matter what. She was also supposed to stay at Gionni and Zahra’s, but ended up at Nuova Terra like us! She probably would have fared better since she speaks perfect Italian, but she is also a genuinely gentle and kind person who is easy to like in general. She shared with us about her home and her conflicting love of Italy. She has been learning Italian for 20 years and has visited at least ten different times, so her insights were of great value.
These are just a few of the more prominent people in my affections. There are plenty of others that I interact with on a regular basis who are wonderful, perplexing, and even a little aggravating. People are the most difficult and the most wonderful creature to deal with.  My boundaries and my self-identity have been tested at every turn and it’s hard not being able to play by my own rules, but I’m sure that the struggle is worth it (at least I am a lot of the time when my patience is intact and I’m not succumbing to my own self-indulgence). I hope that they think similar things and feel enriched through their interactions with me as well J. Whatever I do there is no way I can give back what I have received. I’ve planted some heart strings here and this time and place will always strike a chord with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment